International Volunteer opp.: Geekcorps ICT--Kenya positions (2)
IESC is an international not-for-profit with over 40 years of experience promoting economic growth and development around the world. IESC's Information and Communication Technology Division, the Geekcorps, is actively searching for a volunteer to work in Kenya on a project to improve the quality of pre-service teacher education training at all 20 public and
14 private Primary Teacher Training Centers (PTTCs) and to improve linkages between pre- and in-service teacher education. The Geekcorps volunteers
will build the capacity of a major Kenyan NGO, Computers for Schools Kenya, to support ICT use at PTTCs and to work with specific PTTCs to develop appropriate technical and sustainable solutions that will assist lecturers in using ICT to improve quality of instruction at the PTTCs.
Currently we are seeking two Geekcorps volunteers in Kenya. One will be based in Nairobi and the other will be based in Mombasa.
We need one Geekcorps volunteer to work on setting up a sustainable
cybercafe or a technical service center so that the colleges involved in
the program can earn income and become self-sustainable. The volunteer
must have a network IT background and a understand how to develop a small
business from design to implementation. He/She must also be able to
write a business plan and be able to foster and mentor entrepreneurs.
This position will be based in Mombasa for four months.
We also need another volunteer will help build the capacity of Computers for Schools Kenya headquarters in Nairobi to meet the needs of the PTTCs. This volunteer will:
* Work with Kenya Institute for Education and Computers for Schools Kenya on developing effective exercises to help lecturers apply theskills they gain in basic computers and basic software application classes from Computers for Schools Kenya (including MS Word, Power Point, Excel and Internet Explorer).
* Assist Computers for Schools Kenya in adapting their leasing model for refurbished computers to fit the needs of PTTCs for other equipment including printers, web cams and/or video cams.
* Assist Computers for Schools Kenya in ensuring that their current system of technical support centers can service all teacher colleges in Kenya. If not, help them develop alternative approaches to providing technical support that will reach all teacher colleges.
* Assist program staff and Kenya Institute for Education to develop effective approaches (who will do it and with what equipment to ensure sustainability) for producing (copying existing materials from electronic and paper sources, reproducing CDs, labeling etc) CD ROMS of teacher education materials and videos of best practices that would be made available via DVDs.
* Develop a strategy paper for the Ministry of Education that explores options for the maintenance and replacement of computers and other ICT equipment at PTTCs that includes the total cost of ownership concept.
This position will be based in Nairobi and will be for six months.
Requirements for the positions are as follows:
Minimum of 2 years experience working networking on designing, building
network operating systems and databases, creating network security, and
troubleshooting web servers;
Experience working directly with the end users and other members of the
technical staff to determine and define feature upgrades and
Experience installing and deploys desktops, laptops and telephone
systems to new user staff members; provides computing environment
orientation, including network access, email and network printing.
Proven management, leadership, and managerial skills;
Advance knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Internet Explorer
A degree in business or IT development; and
Fluency in English is a must.
IESC will cover the volunteers' airfare, vaccinations, insurance, a living stipend, accommodations, visas, etc.
Please email cover letter and CV to jobs@... with "Geekcorps - Kenya"
in the subject line. You will also need to complete a registration application for IESC's Consultant database by visiting: http://www.iesc.org/sbinternetreg.nsf/consultant+reg?openform